Tuesday, February 5, 2008

OCD, Monk and Me...

Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are my TV nights. Nothing can come between me and the Tellie, not even dinner (but if you bribe me with butter prawns from TTDI or Chilli Crab from Walter-Granier, then, I'm in... if not, don't bother...).

On Mondays, I'll start off with the series of comedies on Star World, then change to Amazing Race (when it was airing that is) and back to Star World for Monk (i know, i know, House is showing at the same time but Monk will always win, by a landslide mind you!)

On Tuesdays, would be Desperate Housewives and now, of course the ever famous Heroes Season 2.

On Wednesdays, American Idol and CSI (nuff said!!).

On Thursdays, Amazing Race Asia.

Back to Monk. For the benefit of those who have not heard of Monk (duh, where are you from? Mars?), Monk is an Emmy Award-winning US TV show about a private detective, Adrian Monk, who is afflicted by obsessive-compulsive disorder (“OCD”).

What is interesting about Monk is that his OCD is what made him great. Monk’s obsessive attention to details allows him to spot the tiniest of discrepancies, find patterns and make connections that others fail to make. Although Monk is fictional, the creator, Andy Breckman, based Monk’s character from several life experiences of OCD patients.

I too, suffer from a certain degree of OCD (maybe not as bad as Monk, but I share his sentiment). I noticed that I have several habits that may be weird to others. For instance, whenever I go shopping, I will fold back the clothes that have been savagely perused through by other shoppers. Time and again Hootie would have to stop me from doing so. I also have a habit of wiping the utensils with tissue whenever I eat out. I get very upset when the hired help happily shoved the fork and spoon into my food. Another weird habit is that everything I wear must match. Hence, I end up with 5 pairs, different coloured Nike Shox and 4 difference coloured Nike yoga mats. (Don’t even bother asking me how many pairs of working shoes, sandals and flip flops I have!!!). I also make sure that I don’t wear the same outfit twice in a month (and yes, I do have different outfits for different gym classes, ending up with a wardrobe full of Nike stuff.) Even my scrunchy has to be of the same colour, if not similar. There are other habits that is just too taxing to write here. Close friends and family will know what I'm talking about!

Each time I watched Monk, I will always remind Hootie that he’s lucky that my OCD is not as cronic as Monk. He'll just smile, each time.

2 comments:

PrettySweetBoy said...

Zed ...

Goodman pung cakap yang I nie OCD ... he he he ...

kuchai said...

ahahahahah we are on the same boat!