Monday, February 25, 2008

Being Happy...

We convince ourselves that life will be better once we are maried, have a baby, etc.

Then we get frustrated because our children are not old enough and that all will be well when they are older.

Then we are frustrated because they reach adolescence and we must deal with them. Surely we'll be happier when they grow out of their teen years.

We tell ourselves our life will be better when our spouses get his/her act together, when we have a nicer car, when we can take a vacation, when we finally retire.

The truth is that there is no better time to be happy than right now. If not, then when? Your life will always be full of challenges. It is better to admit as much and to decide to be happy in spite of it all. There isn't any road to happiness. Happiness IS the road.

So, enjoy every moment. Stop waiting for school to end, for a return to scholl. to lose ten pounds, to gain ten pounds, for work to begin, to get married, for Friday evening, for Sunday morning, for a new car, for your mortgage to be paid off, for spring, for summer, for fall, for winter, for the first or the fifteenth of the month, for your song to be played on the radio... before deciding to be happy.

Happiness is a voyage, not a destination. There is no better time to be happy than NOW...

NB: A another dear friend has a similar article on being happy which is equally has good.

NBB: As earlier mentioned, I have dedicated Mondays as "Chicken Soup" day (or as "E" puts it, "Cut and Paste" day). The articles are from various chain emails that have been forwarded to me, which I feel would be more beneficial being posted here (rather than clogging my friends mailbox) for eveyone to enjoy and ponder. It is not intended for anyone specific. It is just a way for me to share some "chicken soup for the soul" with all my friends out there.

1 comment:

PrettySweetBoy said...

Great post - I am a firm believer in the ideal "less is more" I see too many people base their happiness on how many things they own or possess. Yet, they are still unhappy. I like nice things just as much as the next fellow - but that is not what gets me up in the morning. I am searching for that same ideal. I would eventually like to have someone whom makes me feel secure, loved, happy, all that stuff and I've found one ... "DMG"

Who knows what true *happiness* is, but I bet it consists of great friends, a devoted partner, and a loving family. That would work for me