Friday, April 25, 2008

There'e Gotta Be More to Life...

There's gotta be more to life...
Than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me
Cause the more that I'm...
Trippin' out thinkin' there must be more to life
Well it's life, but I'm sure... There's gotta be more
(More to life - Stacie Orrico)

Was listening to old tunes from my ever faithful IPod (where would I be without it?) and this song played on. There is some truth in it. Besides trying to be happily married, having an extremely patient and understanding spouse, wishing there are kids along the way, 4 adorable god-children, generous parents in-law, having the greatest boss on earth (trust me, where to find a boss where you can do what you like eg come to work at 9.30 am and leaving the office at 6pm), having a decent income so that I can at least splurge on a monthly basis, a wardrobe full of Nike stuff, I still wish that I have more that what I have now.

Like it or not, sometimes we DO compare ourselves with others, let it be career wise, family wise or even the way we potray ourselves compared to others. And when we start comparing, we normally ended up thinking "is this as good as it gets?" "If only I have more money to buy a Chanel suit, I'll look good" "How did he/she end up with so much money" "It's not fair, no matter how much she eats, she's still slim" etc... etc...

I'm not ashamed to admit that I use to be in this boat (or maybe I still am?). During my earlier career days, I used to get jealous when I see another person wearing a better suit than mine, carries an expensive, luxurious handbag, wear designer shoes. And what do I? I hit the store and bought myself all these, making sure they are more expensive than my rival. At that point in time, being seen in designer labels is all I care about, regardless of how big a hole my pocket is. Now, I am still paying for my lifestyle back then and wishing that I didn't bother competing with the Jones.

I've learned a lot and obviously, the hard way. I shouldn't spend money that I don't have (but I must have the limited edition Nike Shox!). If someone really loves you, they don't really care how you look, it's what in you heart (but it wouldn't kill if you try to dress like JLo or have a bootylicious body like Beyonce or Kylie Minogue). The ones that stay when the shit hits the fan are your true friends. Driving like a maniac DOES NOT get you there faster. And many other painful lessons.

Nonetheless, the very one thing I realise is that if we have faith in God and seek His guidance in times of needs, than life is not as bad as it seems.

1 comment:

PrettySweetBoy said...

I read this on my friend’s blog, and it struck such a chord with me that I have to share it. It’s applicable and intuitive, and a real wake-up call for me.

Words affect your thoughts
Thoughts affect your emotions
Emotions affect your decisions
Decisions affect your actions
Actions affect your habits
Habits affect your character
Character affects your destination.