Tuesday, May 20, 2008

When honesty is not the best policy

As a kid, I was told not to tell lies. But as I grow older, I suddenly realised that the very person that told me this, has somewhat tell lies, let it be big ones or small ones (what we call "a white lie").

I often ask myself, why do I sometimes have to lie or being lied to (yes, I am guilty of this sin people, but like I said, I have yet to find someone that is as pure as saint). I mean, is not that I want to lie, but sometimes, lying seems to be the best option around.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a liar nor do I condone to lying. But, there are instances where I feel that by not telling the truth, the outcome of the situation would be 20 times better. This is normally when I am torn between trying to please the other person or suffer the consequences myself. Take for instance, when I want to go out clubbing (during my single days), I admit that I had to tell a white lie to my mother so that I can spend sometime (and money) at clubs. Imagined if I had told her that I am going clubbing, I wouldn't even get to the front door of the house, let alone the front door of the club!

People lie for different reasons. Some are just are purely liars (yes, I have come across people of this sort). Some lie to protect the feelings of others, while some just want to keep peace. Many a times that I have been caught in situations where, in order to not let hell loose, I have to tell a white lie.

I guess, at the end of the day, we are given the option to tell the truth or to lie. Whether we choose to tell the truth or a little white lie, is entirely up to our conscience. As for me, the golden rule I always apply is that "Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others". Hence, most of the time, I will tell the truth, no matter how hard it is for me as I do not appreciate being lied to straight in my face.

1 comment:

kuchai said...

bak kata p.ramlee 'bohong sunat jek' ehehhehhe.

i guess there are things meant for us and us only period. if its gonna create a typhoon or tsunami by revealing it then might as well just forget your intention and just keep it to yourself. jgn carik pasal