Thursday, March 6, 2008

Hands off the remote!!!

I am a reality TV show junkie. I enjoy watching how one team tries to outwit the other team in Amazing Race. I take pleasure in watching all the cat fights in ANTM. I am even amused by KLS's bitchiness.

Reality TV is a genre of tv programmes which presents purportedly unscripted dramatic or humorous situations, documents actual events, and features ordinary people instead of professional actors. Although the genre has existed in some form or another since the early years of television, the term reality television is most commonly used to describe programs produced since 2000. Documentaries and non-fictional programming such as news and sports shows are usually not classified as reality shows.

A bit of history lesson. Reality TV goes way back to the 1940's. Unlike current reality TV shows, reality TV shows back then were more focused on broadcasting unsuspecting ordinary people reacting to pracks and practical jokes (this would be shows like "You're on Candid Camera", "Just Kidding" and "MTV Boiling Points"). Over the years, reality TV shows evolves whereby producers started to toy with more creative ideas such of game/quiz shows, home improvements, competitions and real life moments captured on home videos.


Few of my favourites at the mo:-

a) Kimora: Life at the Fab Lane - love how she bitches around town, with her fabulous fashion sense and extravagant over-the-top gadgets (have you guys seen her diamond encrusted handphone and tailor-made leather seats in her open-top Bentley!)

b) Amazing Race and Amazing Race Asia - no matter how many times they show the reruns of the reruns, I still catch them on tellie

c) ANTM - it makes me wonders how some chicks even made it to the show. But I love how the show has evolved from focusing purely on modelling to modelling with a purpose. For instance, in the latest season, ANTM has gone green (mind you, green is the new black!)

d) American Idol - the amount of talent that the contestants have is amazing. Some of them can sing better than the original singer!

e) Who wants to be a comic superhero? - Yes, I know, this show is a bit over the top, but can't help watching Stan Lee groom real people into having superhero qualities, some of which I feel that we should practice in becoming a better person

f) Project Runaway - Just love watching how the designers use their creativity and create beautiful garments

And the list goes on. I have even converted Hootie to watch reality TV shows with me and he enjoys watching some of it. And me being me, each time I watch TV, don't even dare touch the remote let alone flip through the channels during commercials! If I'm watching something that Hootie doesn't like, he'll just go to his ever faithful PC and browse the net or trade dope over FB.

Have to say that reality TV does affect our lives one way or another. Notice how most of the show in Astro are reality TV? People do love watching other people. As I see it, there's nothing wrong in doing so. We could even learn a thing or two.

2 comments:

kuchai said...

ittew nama dia hint2 for a 2nd tv inchik hootiee **oopss**

Zed said...

Bets pun paham... Hootie, apa lagi, astromax la...